Innocent Jumma arrested by army in Rowangchari after being called to camp

Photo: Mongyoi Prue Marma (Center)

Hill Voice, 28 February 2022, Bandarban: It has been alleged that an innocent Jumma named Mongyoiprue Marma (30) was detained by the army from Kheyangmrong Para of Noapatang Union in Roangchari upazila of Bandarban, after being called to the camp.

Today, Monday (February 28), Mongyoiprue Marma was called to the Antapara army camp in Rowangchari and detained. He is the son of Mongchathoi Marma of Madhyapara village in Ward No. 1 of Noapatang union.

According to local sources, when asked to be present in the camp, Mongyoiprue Marma went to Antapara camp on Monday at 3:00 pm along with two villagers including Karbari (village head) Hlagya Marma of village.

After the talks, the army authorities even released Mongyoiprue in the custody of Karbari Hlagya Marma. But after a while, Mongyoiprue was detained again for ‘talking’ and then sent to Bandarban army zone, says a public representative, who did not want to be named.

At that time, he was arrested and taken to Rowangchhari army zone. It is learnt that Mongyoiprue Marma was handed over to Bandarban Sadar Police Station on February 28 after being implicated in the murder of Mongshingshwe Marma by an unidentified gunman.

It may be mentioned that his wife Hlauyoi Marma filed a case against 5/6 unidentified gunmen at Rowangchhari police station in connection with the shooting death of Mongshingshwe Marma. Mongyoiprue Marma was not named in the case.

Mongyoiprue Marma was the former president of the Rowangchhari thana branch of the Pahari Chhatra Parishad (Hill Students Council). It is learnt that he had no connection with the organization for a long time.

Although his parents live in Rowangchhari Sadar area, after getting married Mongyoiprue Marma has been living in Kheyangmrong Para for many years. Their families are very poor and innocent.

The public representative, who did not want to be named, said that Mongyoiprue Marma had been falsely implicated in the murder of Mongshingshwe Marma.